Re: Damaged? ProFile Drive Motor

From: tommoni <tommoni_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:28:46 +0100

Hi Tom,

first of all: The internal Hard-Drive in a Lisa 2 usually really does make such sounds you described. Some older external ProFiles do the same.
It's infernal loud, when such drives spin up. Even the "sandy noise" combined with the "whining squealing sound" is normal.
I have several drives, which work perfect, and all early models before 1984 are extremely loud.

It seems, that your drive still does work, but: either the write/read-head is out of it's proper working position or, much more likely, the track zero on the winchester disk is no longer readable

The second error causes exactly such a failure: green LED blinking, then permanent light after a while red LED lights up and remains

As you described also, that your drive has been full of black dust, can you specify, where this dust was located? Have you carefully opened the disk itself, to get a closer view of the disks surface? Perhaps the write/read-head is also very dusty, or there are viewable scratches on the disks surface?
You even can run the ProFile, when opened the winchester disk. It's not evacuated and you can try to boot after you opened it. The cables of the Lisa or the external ProFile are long enough.

So a happy New Year: Tom from Bavaria, the country of the famous Octoberfest, the marvellous castles of Koenig Ludwig and the Alps