Re: Lisa Fonts

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 18:21:02 -0400

Rebecca Bettencourt wrote:
> This is what I've been going on, and so far it has helped decode the
> font metrics (that information is stored exactly identically), but not
> the font bitmap itself.

Ok, so I suppose it would be stored in some similar fashion, but figuring it out will be fun. If you can map a specific font's first character location, say "!" (since that's ASCII 31) and display that same character on LisaEm while in Raw" video mode, it may provide a starting point. I'm assuming that the first char in the font is the first bit of data that you'll see.

In terms of printing, this happens vertically, that is an entire line of pixels gets printed from left to right. It is possible that LOS does the same for the display. It might not, but then they'd need to do lots more work converting from horizontal to vertical. This is just a guess. There may be another layer of compression on top of this as well...

> I knew there had to be. :) Thanks! It looks like I can do some
> recompiling to get what I want out of it.
>

> Wait, does this mean the capability was removed, or it was just turned
> off?

If you edit glue.c's debug_on() and recompile --with-debug --with-tracelog you will be able to use it, but you still need to write some code that traps QuickDraw font code and turns the logs on.

The capability hasn't been removed, but there never was a UI for this except in the raw X11 code where control-shift-D would turn the logs on and off. That code (lisaem.c) was unpublished and has been replaced by the various C++ code (most notably lisaem_wx.cpp and wxui/*), but the on/off code very easy to replicate in the current C++ code. Note that this would probably not help you as it would capture everything between the keypresses which would overshoot what you're looking for and is likely to quickly produce several gigabytes of trace log output which won't be much fun to read through. (Well, ok I suppose I had lots of fun reading it, so maybe you're as insane as I am, in that case, full steam ahead!)

Instead, look for "#ifdef PROCNAME_DEBUG" in reg68k.c and work around that area. You'll have to figure out what procedure names you'll want to trap on and how the QuickDraw code is entered and which deals with fonts, once you do that, you can trap just the code you want, and turn on the trace log for that. Received on 2007-04-07 18:21:04