Re: LisaEm 1.0.0 RC1 breaks floppy image support

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:13:26 -0400

So, doing a Right-Click (control-click) on the extracted file and selecting Get Info, says that it's not a Disk Copy 4.2 image, but rather something called an "NDIF Disk Image." (On the images I use, Get Info shows "Disk Copy 4.2 disk image" for the file type.)

I googled around for that, and found this not quite so helpful page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiskImageMounter which says this: NDIF disk image (.ndif, .img, com.apple.disk-image-ndif); NDIF disk image segment (.imgpart, com.apple.disk-image-ndif-segment)

Further search results led to:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=32012&coll=cp which says that this is a Disk Copy 6 image:

> With the release of Disk Copy 6.1, Apple began transitioning all
> software releases (including online software archives) to a new
> packaging that will make downloading faster and easier. This packaging
> is a new type of disk image called New Disk Image Format, or NDIF.
> Disk images in NDIF format are compressed to save space and download
> time, and decompress transparently when they are in use. You can even
> mount and install software directly from NDIF disk images on the
> desktop instead of making floppy disks. The NDIF format also includes
> check sums which guarantee the data integrity of disk images. With
> Disk Copy 6.1 (or later), you can make your own NDIF disk images of
> folders or mounted disks.

This is of course normally incompatible with the emulator as it means that it's a Disk Copy 6.1 image. But here's the strange thing about it, I can actually open the image with LisaFSH Tool, so something somewhere has changed this image into NDIF, even though libdc42 can still access it.

Even more interesting, I downloaded a copy of LisaEm 1.0.0 RC1 to be sure that I'm not using some internal version of LisaEm, and it was able to not only load the floppy image, but also boot from it after pulling down the "Enable" menu inside the file open dialog box and selecting "All (*.*)".

I found FileInfo here: http://www.panix.com/~shopsinm/ since FileTyper doesn't work on OS X Intel, and it told me that the file is a dImg/dCpy file, and for the files I use that I know come from Disk Copy, it showed ????/????, so this is really weird.

I'm not sure why your image shows up as NDIF, and mine show up as Disk Copy 4.2 in Get Info. I'm fairly sure that dImg/dCpy are the signatures for Disk Copy 4.2 off the top of my head, but why the known good images show up with ????/???? and the NDIF one shows up this way is bizzare.

Stranger still, the lisadiskinfo program I wrote recognizes the NDIF file as a Disk Copy 4.2 (as does lisafsh-tool and RC1). So, what makes OS X's finder think that this is an NDIF image, and more importantly why isn't it working on your system?

I suspect that the fact that it shows up as an NDIF is a strong clue, but don't quite know what to make of all this.