Re: Videx's 'Desktop Calendar' for Lisa available here...

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:17:31 -0400

gilles wrote:
> not sure you can find workshop on ray's site... but it's on the mac
> mothership...
> here : http://www.macmothership.com/lisacontent/lisahome.html

That's right, I only put up some of the documentation. This is to prevent Apple from coming after me. :)

>From what I understand, if you write an emulator, you cannot distribute
ROMs or software for that machine - if you do, the legality of the emulator program itself goes into question (in addition to the separate instances of copyright violations). At least this is my understanding of US law based on stuff written about the legality of emulators by others. While I doubt that Apple would actually care enough about this to pursue it, I certainly don't want to open myself up to that possibility.

This is why if you ever ask an emulator author for a ROM, they're not even allowed to tell you WHERE you can find one.

This was one of the driving factors for writing the ROMless routines in LisaEm - most people could find the LOS disks just fine on their own, but have a hard time finding ROMs.
While there are (occasionally available) perfectly legal copies of Lisa Office System and Pascal Workshop that showed up on ebay, either on original 3.5" floppies, or as part of the Apple Service Source CD series.

So there is a legal way for someone to obtain copies of Lisa Office System and run them on LisaEm. In this way, the emulator remains legal software - under the category of compatibility tools.

Ideally, I'd love for there to be a site that has all the documentation and all of the software. But I myself can't run such a site without Apple's blessing. Something like this exists in the form of bitsavers.org - they've got both software and PDFs, but I don't see very much stuff available for the Lisa (there are the UniPlus manuals but not much else) - probably for the same kinds of concerns. Received on 2010-03-21 10:17:32