Re: Lisa GEMDOS

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:51:34 -0400

Nama wrote:
> Unfortunately I have had no luck getting GEMDOS to load on LisaEM
> 1.2.6 for the Mac.
> I'm not sure why, but it hangs after showing the fish (which is
> actually split in half, and the halfs flipped with some other possible
> corruption), then LisaEm crashes.

I'll see what I can do. But it'll be a while before it's released.

> On another probably unrelated note. For some reason my LisaEm is
> having trouble saving it config file and I get the following report:
>
> 21:30:26: Failed to create a temporary file name (error 2: No such
> file or directory)
> 21:30:26: can't open user configuration file.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, it's annoying to have to
> redo all my settings each time I start the emulator. I've tried
> downloading LisaEm again and using that but the problem persists.

There's two sets of preferences for LisaEm, there's a global one that keeps track of your user interface preferences along with a pointer to a config file.
That config file keeps all the settings for a specific copy of a Lisa (i.e. expansion ports, profile drivers, printers, etc.)

It sounds like it's having trouble with one of the file names.

If it's trying to create a temporary file, it would do so in /tmp - but I don't think it does this for config files - only the sound playback needs to write a temp file. It's possible that wx does something internally that needs a temp file, but that's a bit strange.

You should avoid certain characters in your file names (both profile hard drives and config files) these are / \ ? * : " '

If you look in your home directory under Library, you should find two files Mac OS X keeps:
./Preferences/LisaEm Preferences
./Preferences/net.sunder.lisaem.plist

Delete the both of them and will reset LisaEm to its defaults. After that, recreate your (individual Lisa) config files from scratch (incase they're corrupted.)

The individual config files are just .ini files, so you can open them up with a text editor if you'd like to fix them manually.

I may change the way Lisa configs are stored in the future, but that's at least several months away. Right now I've got loads of issues with Snow. Snow can handle 64 bit Intel binaries, and the latest wx2.9 snapshots do build under 64 bit mode just fine, but they've got issues as they're also devel snaps and not stable.

wx2.9 is moving away from Carbon to Cocoa, this is as it should be as Apple is going to discontinue Carbon at some point, but wx2.9 on OS X is nowhere near workable in terms of the critical parts for LisaEm: it doesn't support the raw bitmap interface, so it's glacially slow updating the screen. On my 2009 2.53GHz Core Duo 2 MacBook Pro, Shark shows over 70% of the CPU time is spent doing nothing but redrawing the display, which leaves the effective 68000 CPU execution rate at under 1MHz! This is of course completely unacceptable since, on the same hardware while running on Linux under VMWare, it runs just fine with wx2.8.10.

The best I can do for now is to go back to wx2.8.7 and compile only 32 bit apps. There's other problems with wxWidgets, but I'm not gonna go off topic ranting about what's broken when so much of it works well.

This of course doesn't take into account all of the bugs and issues in the current 1.3.0 dev version which I'll have to also fix before I can release it.) So if anything, it's at least 6 months away, probably more.

1.3.0 has a rewritten MMU which is quite a bit faster, and also uses up a lot less memory. The CPU's been ripped out of LisaEm into its own library so that way it can be reused. I've also reran all the 68000 tests against it and it has passed. The source code's been cleaned up and reorganized in a lot of places, but not yet everywhere. Right now there are mostly internal structural changes to LisaEm, feature wise, it's still equivalent to 1.2.6, though there are some severe bugs that cause it to crash randomly.

I might see about patching 1.2.6 to get GEMDOS working, but that's only a possibility at this point, not a promise. Received on 2010-03-21 10:51:35