Re: Installing Xenix (again)

From: Guido Deiana <guido_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:11:39 +0100

From: Philip Lord <lord_philip_at_email.domain.hidden> To: lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden
Sent: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 10:33:29 +0900
Subject: Re: Installing Xenix (again)

> Great that seemed to work. Thanks James. Just two more quick questions.
>
> Firstly, I have A8 rom so mine is a Lisa 2/5, so I have formatted my
> Xprofile drive as 5meg.

Hi Philip,
if you have an eprom programmer I can send you a .bin file with a patched I/O rom (now it show H/89).It has only the ID changed. When Xenix check for the rom version, any other ID than A9 is ok for to do not et errors during the 10 mb. initialization procedure.

> Does anyone know what components of Xenix
> will fit in 5meg. Obviously it all wont fit as I found out. Starts
> giving me errors.

All the 7 floppies areinstalled, the Dev system, Multiplan and Lyrix, but not very much space is left....

> Secondly, after the install and re-boot, it prompts to push 'CONTROL
> D' to continue with normal operation, there is no control button on
> the lisa keyboard so I did 'apple D' instead (seemed to work).

Option+Apple+D is Control+D

> I then get a prompt for User login and password. Any idea what I
> should type here?

no initial password for root. After you can add/change it with "passwd". In maintenance mode, you can create new users with "mkuser". It's self explained.

But remember.... Xenix i an Operating System, not and Application. It must be amministred knowing well his commands and problems :-) Just a note... never just power off. Always use "shutdown 0" or "sync", "Haltsys" .... You will avoid to have to reinstall it due inode errors...

Ciao,
Gido

------- End of Original Message -------

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---