Re: Found a place where you can download lisa images

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:49:45 -0400

simon wrote:
> what a hell to get them to real floppies!
>
> So inbetween now comes a extra step: a powerbook 180 running 7.5.3.
> Question is: can i write foppies on this operating system? will DART
> run, FEdit? And will the floppies be readable by my lisa?

Yes, but do not use DART if you can help it. Do what you can to run Disk Copy 4.2 instead. On some machines, DART will format the disk with the wrong number of sync bytes which will sometimes fail to read on a real Lisa. Disk Copy 4.2 has its own formatting routines which place the correct number of sync bytes. It also formats and writes the data at the same time making it faster.

If you have images already in DART format, try to convert them to Disk Copy 4.2, but whatever you do, DO NOT USE Disk Copy 6.3 as it will strip off the tag data. This is ok for data floppies to be used on MacWorks, but for the actual copy of MacWorks, or Lisa Office System diskettes, the tags are required!

You can convert from DART to Disk Copy 4.2 in two ways. One, you can restore the floppy with DART, then read it back in with Disk Copy 4.2 and save that as a disk image, then restore the Disk Copy 4.2 disk image back to the floppy.

You can also use lisafsh-tool to convert them from DART to Disk Copy 4.2, but you'll need to do this under OS X, Win32, or Linux. It automatically converts images from DART to dc42 when it first opens them. So you'd run it like this: echo "quit" | lisafsh-tool some-image.dart which will create some-image.dart.dc42.

(If someone can port lisafsh-tool to Classic Mac OS, I'd greatly appreciate it.)

You can also use lisafsh-tool in place of Fedit, although it has a command line interface instead of a GUI.

see: http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-media-floppy_dc42.html

In terms of converting or changing the Mac Creator/File types you should use the File Typer utility which you can find here: http://dazuma.freeshell.org/filetyper/download.html

(BTW: If you have ResEdit, it also has a way to do that, but FileTyper is much nicer.)

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---