Re: How to backup X-profile & IDEfile compact flash cards

From: PSchaefer <dr.p.schaefer_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 04:24:32 -0700 (PDT)

On 7 Apr., 08:13, Nama <forums6..._at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

> How would I make backup copies of my X-profile and IDEfile compact > flash cards in case the cards die or are accidentally erased.

  1. To archive a whole card, connect it to your PC in a way that it is recognized as an IDE drive (i.e. CF-to-IDE & IDE-to-USB adapter, or CF- -PCMCIA). Then use your favourite drive imager tool (or linux dd) to copy the whole card into a file.

To restore, copy the file back onto a card with the same or bigger size.

b) To grab single volumes from an IDEfile card or image file, the procedure is as follows:

81 means Volume 0, Type 1. 000101 is the start address in IDEfile blocks. Multiply this by 2 to get IDE LBA sector numbers. 4C00 is the number of blocks in the volume, CD is a checksum. So this example starts at IDE sector 0x202 and has a length of 0x9800 IDE sectors.

IDEfile has a "d"ump command to view the contents of a data block via RS-232. To see the volume table, load it into memory with the "v" command, then "d"ump it.

Hope that helps
Patrick