Re: How to backup X-profile & IDEfile compact flash cards

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 16:38:52 -0400

PSchaefer wrote:
> It seems that Uniplus does not require these extra 20 bytes, so one
> IDE sector is enough. The same applies to MacWorks -- at least the
> later versions use only 512 bytes per block. Such images could be
> stored 1:1, i.e. one data block into one IDE sector.

Yup, far as I understand only Lisa Office System (and therefore Pascal Workshop) use the tags. All other OSs only need the extra tags on the boot block.
Tag bytes 4,5 need to be AA,AA for the disk to be seen as bootable by the Lisa boot ROM.

(It's possible the old Mac MFS versions of Macintosh System used the tags as well for something, but they don't seem to actually need them to work. However, if you strip the tags off, Lisa Office System won't work for very long, as soon as the scavenger program runs, you'll destroy the file system.)