Re: How to backup X-profile & IDEfile compact flash cards

From: PSchaefer <dr.p.schaefer_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 04:33:36 -0700 (PDT)

On 8 Apr., 09:11, Nama <forums6..._at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

> All my images are, as you mentioned, about the size of the card's
> themselves, and consist largely of areas with data (about 512 bytes)
> followed by areas with no data (again about 512 bytes)...this pattern
> then repeats. IDEfile images are also similar in places. Is this
> because of some redundancy that X/Profile and IDEfile uses when
> writing to the card?

An IDE sector has 512 bytes. LisaOS needs 532 bytes, so you have to use two IDE sectors to hold one LisaOS block. Therefore, looking into the image file, you see 532 bytes of data followed by 492 bytes of garbage (or zeros).

It seems that Uniplus does not require these extra 20 bytes, so one IDE sector is enough. The same applies to MacWorks -- at least the later versions use only 512 bytes per block. Such images could be stored 1:1, i.e. one data block into one IDE sector.

However, you'll need some way to tell your emulator the physical size of a data block in the image.

Patrick