Re: Repairing a Lisa keyboard

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:13:01 -0700

Very nice, thanks to you both!

I recall that someone reported trying conductive aluminum foil and found that it doesn't work: the disks need to be insulated from the contacts on the circuit board (I suppose it is a capacitive circuit, not a resistive one). Hence the mylar with conductive side in.

I've used 3/16 weatherstripping foam from Home Depot, apparently successfully, to fix a couple of keys. I recall it was available in white open cell (very soft), black open cell (soft), and black closed cell (firm) forms. I think the black open cell (soft) was what I used. However, I don't use the keyboard much, so I can't really say if the feel is good for extended use.

As far as I can tell, the thickness and density of the foam is not critical. The thickness dictates the initial travel of the key, and the density affects the feel of the over-travel once the key makes contact and your finger keeps going/pushing. Different people prefer different keyboards, so these things seem to be a matter of preference.

Since it is quite a job to do an entire keyboard, it would be nice to see comments regarding other experiences with this problem...

James