Re: 5mhz lisa to 8mhz?

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 14:35:17 -0800

The X/ProFile can be substantially faster than the Apple ProFile, so it does provide a performance boost for the Lisa Office System. However, some CF cards are faster than others, so the actual improvement varies with the media used (the transfer rate is not important here, it is the read/write latency that affects the X/ProFile response time, but CF cards with a faster transfer rate tend to be faster in other respects too).

It might be possible to enable the XLerator 12.5/18 for use with the Lisa Office System, but the difficulty depends on how LOS uses the Lisa's memory management circuitry.

The XLerator uses a "shadow memory" technique so the fast RAM (which provides most of the speed boost) is accessed before any MMU translation takes place (which also improves speed).

Does anyone know if data/code in memory is "moved" around by LOS using the MMU in some complicated way, or is the memory selectively paged/mapped to different logical regions just because there isn't enough of it?

James