Re: lisa 2 startup problems

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 17:26:50 -0800

>I can now start the Lisa 2/5.

Congratulations!

>Any Ideas about the source of the problem would be appreciated.

>It is weird since I get at booting the Rom version different,
>sometimes it is the same but sometimes different until now I got:
>3A/48
>3A/88
>3A/60
>3A/8F
>3A/FF

The second part of the ROM version is the version of the I/O Board ROM. This is read by the 68000 CPU from the memory (on the I/O Board) which is shared with the 6504.

It is possible that the value is truly incorrect and varying, perhaps due to the 6504 not running properly (even if the 6504 is working, it may not be reading the EPROM, or the shared memory might not be working), or the CPU board might not be accessing the I/O board properly.

>the Lisa Lite adapter

Malfunction of the Lite Adapter would only affect actual operation of the floppy.

>I cannot test the ROM (341-8003), should this ROM work with the IO
>Board from the 2/10?

The ROM is specific to the type of I/O Board. The 2/5 I/O Board needs a version A8 Lisa 2/5 ROM, and the 2/10 I/O Board needs a version 88 Lisa 2/10 ROM. This is independent of the CPU Board ROM, which can be H, or 3A, or various others. For more info, see:

   http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-rom_versions.html

You can put the 2/10 I/O Board in the 2/5, but the floppy will not work unless you modify the Lite Adapter. See:

   http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-io_substitution.html

I suggest NOT modifying the Lite Adapter, and just see if the machine works properly with the 2/10 I/O Board. If the problem persists, then it implies an issue between the CPU and I/O Board. If the problem goes away, then it implies an issue with the 2/5 I/O Board.

Good luck!