Re: lisa 2 startup problems

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:50:55 -0800

>Now, when I start the Lisa, I get no more errors from the hardware
>check but the "insert floppy" pictogram.

This is typical. Unless otherwise specified, after the self-test is successful the Lisa will try to startup-from the built-in parallel port, or if no hard disk is attached, the floppy disk. You can interrupt this automatic startup-from by pressing the space bar (or another key) during the self-test, which will leave you at the startup-from menu.

>The floppy drive is just "dead", it does not eject the disk or anything.

There was discussion in this thread about modifying the Lite Adapter so you could use a 2/10 I/O Board in your 2/5. Per

http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-io_substitution.html

If you are using the 2/10 Board in a 2/5, the floppy won't work WITHOUT the modifications. If you are using the 2/5 Board, the floppy won't work WITH the modifications. So, make sure you have or have not modified the Lite Adapter depending on which I/O Board you are using.

Also note that for the floppy to work the card cage needs to match the chassis cabling. Since you have a Lite Adapter, you probably have a 2/5 chassis, but double check... in the drive cage area there should be two 26 pin ribbon cable connectors, which denotes a 2/5 chassis (If you have one 26 pin and one 20 pin ribbon cable connector, you have a 2/10 chassis, and the 26 pin connector is NOT for the Lite Adapter/floppy, it is for an internal hard disk). If you do have a 2/5 chassis, your card cage must be a 2/5 card cage, ie. it should have three DB-25 connectors on the back panel, and no interrupt button.

>Where can I find documentation about the floppy drive interface /
>what every signal means?

The signals are essentially the same as in the early Macintosh models, you are likely to find much more if you search for Macintosh floppy info.