Re: Developing Apple Lisa Office System applications?

From: Shirl Casner <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:59:05 -0600

Hello Lincoln,

Developing Apple Lisa desktop tools requires the APPLE LISA TOOLKIT. Documentation and disk images for this may be found at:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/apple/lisa/toolkit_3.0/

The Lisa Workshop development environment is needed for Toolkit development. The toolkit is based on an extended version of the Pascal language called Clascal which added object-oriented programming to the Apple Lisa Pascal language. Clascal is documented in the above Bitsavers.org web site. I used the Toolkit long ago and found it very powerful, but you have to read a lot to understand what you need to know given the object libraries are rather extensive. Apple provides a very good introduction to Clascal.

I have attached 2 articles about the Toolkit and Clascal which may be useful. Some other Lisa stuff is also provided that may interest you too.

Apple also provided what was called QUICK PORT that allowed you to create programs for the Office System Desktop environment, but Quick Port was not as versatile as the Toolkit. But Quick Port was easier to use if your program's desktop requirements were not extensive. I also believe Quick Port did not provide access to the Toolkit libraries. I recall Quick Port was documented in the Lisa Operating System reference manual set (3 volumes).

I've also BCCed one of the Lisa Toolkit's authors in case he has anything to add or correct any mistakes here.

Hope this helps. If you actually produce a Lisa Toolkit tool please let me and this LisaList know.

Regards,
David Craig

===