Re: Developing Apple Lisa Office System applications?

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 20:00:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Last night I managed to get all of the Lisa example programs to compile and run under the Office System.

I've linked to a disk image containing all the compiled programs at http://stepleton.com/Lisa/clascal/ . It's in MacBinary II format, but utilities exist to decode that in OS X (already installed), Linux (look for the "macutils" package), and Windows (left as an exercise). Give the programs a try---enjoy seeing your Lisa do something (slightly) different!

You can see screenshots of all the example programs here: https://plus.google.com/photos/+TomStepleton/albums/6075779489458024657

*Lessons learned:*

*(Disclaimer: these lessons assume you are like me and had the Office System and the Workshop installed on separate disks. If you installed both on the same disk, I'm not sure what happens, but I'm guessing that there are even more things to go wrong.)*

  1. When the ToolKit v3.0 installation disks (at http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/bits/Apple/Lisa/toolkit_3.0/) ask you whether you'd like to install TKLIB.OBJ or TKLIB2.OBJ, *say no*. If you compile against these versions of the ToolKit, the binaries won't work with version 3 of the Office System. Worse yet, if you are using Workshop v3.9, the new INTRINSIC.LIB files that get installed will not be compatible with other libraries that the Workshop uses, and the Workshop will crash when it tries to boot.
  2. If you're using v3.0 of the Workshop, don't go crazy with making subdirectories (called "Catalogs" in Lisa parlance) to hold the example programs---or if you do, give them very short names. It looks like the workshop shell and some of the tools have some very short buffers for storing filenames, and you may find that Weird Things happen. (E.g. if you set your working directory to one of your subdirs, you can get the FILE-MGR to print gobbledygook characters when it tries to tell you where you are. Scary! This problem seems to have been fixed in 3.9.)
  3. You will need to install the QuickDraw (QD/*) libs, TKLIB.OBJ, TK2LIB.OBJ, and the InstallTool.obj program from the Workshop install disk with all the QuickPort stuff on it. Just use the B{ackup} command from FILE-MGR---there's no install script.
  4. ToolKit disk 3 has an icon editor program, which is fun to play with.

*Still not known, because I haven't tried:*

  1. The QuickPort TK*OBJ libraries are smaller than the ones that the ToolKit disks want to install. What's the difference? Is it still possible to compile a ToolKit program with these libraries that has luxurious debug facilities described in the ToolKit documentation?
  2. If you stick to the QuickPort TK*OBJ libraries, can you compile an Office System compatible ToolKit program in Workshop 3.9? I would have guessed "no", but I've built a QuickPort application successfully under 3.9, so I'm not sure.

--Tom