Re: Tips for making Twiggy images

From: Natalia Portillo <claunia_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:30:42 +0000

Hi David,

Oh the date format, is based on what environment you're running it into. While I could hardcode the output I simply did not, so as my system is configured for spanish datetime format (DD/MM/YYYY) shows so, in your system the tool will use us datetime (MM-DD-YYYY) and in Japan it will use japanese one (YYYY/MM/DD).

I can confirm you that the MDDF field for uncooked (user+tag) sectorsize is as documentation says, not as we've got it imaged.

Yesterday I was thinking about how Amiga MFM also have some tag bytes in the header and they include checksums. Maybe the bytes we're not accessing are the checksums, that are transparently checked on read and created on write by the floppy controller.

Why LisaFS needs it I don't know but if you change it, to say 12 bytes, LisaOS will fail to recognize the disk. Anyway LisaFS is quite a mess and from my findings seems to be a mixture of Pascal and asm.

Regards,
Natalia Portillo

P.S.: You can use my tool on any DC42 image you have, including hdd ones. It will recognize LisaFS 1/2/3, Xenix FS, MFS and HFS. UCSD Pascal filesystem is in the TODO list, as well as images of Apple HardDisk 20 that I have not found anywhere (but can be created).

El 16/2/15 a las 17:04, Shirl Casner escribió:

> Hello Natalia,
>
> Thanks for the MDDF (Media Descriptor Data File) information for
> this Lisa Pascal v1 disk. I am very impressed with what you've
> learned about the Lisa file system structure.
>
> One suggestion that could make your Disk Image Chef a little better
> is to show dates in format YYYY-MM-DD instead of in DD-MM-YYYY
> format. For example, September 12, 1983 would appear as 1983-09-12
> instead of 12/09/1983 which is confusing for us who are used to
> dates in USA format MM/DD/YYYY.
>
> Your comment about the Twiggy tag being 24 bytes is interesting, at
> least the MDDF is reporting this as such.
>
> - David Craig
>
> ===
>
> On February 16, 2015, at 1:38 AM, Natalia Portillo wrote:

>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> I can tell you that the MDDF seems correct:
>>
>> claunia_at_zeus ~ $ mono
>> /Development/DiscImageChef/DiscImageChef/bin/Debug/DiscImageChef.exe

analyze -i ~/Downloads/PascalWorkshop1.0_3of3_682-0051-B.dc42