Re: Connecting a Widget to a 2 port card?

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 21:39:09 -0800

The Widget will work via the dual parallel card (and a ProFile will work via the internal port of a 2/10).

The problem is that the boot block for most operating environments is specific to the built-in port. In those cases a drive connected to an external port is only usable after booting.

For some environments, booting is possible from an external port, but the environment has to be installed on the device while it is connected to an external port, and the device won't boot if it is moved to a built-in port. IIRC, MW+ 1.1h is that way.

And, IIRC, MW+II has a boot block that allows moving a device (after software install) from built-in to external and vice-versa (and booting from either).

The BLU boot block is also made to boot from any port. In addition, the BLU boot block detects if it is on a Widget or ProFile so the same boot block can boot either device. Other boot blocks won't work if you copy between a Widget and ProFile.

If you don't have any data to lose on the external drive, you can try installing BLU on it then boot from it to confirm the hardware connection is working properly.

James