Lisa 2/5 I/O board troubleshooting.

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:10:43 -0400

Hi,

I just got a 2nd Lisa, a 2/5. The prior owner got the system in 1997. At that time he removed the battery, and then packed it away... and didn't touch it for 20 years.

The system does not power up with the original I/O card. There was some light corrosion on the board in the battery area, I scrubbed it with some water and vinegar and things are much cleaner now.

If I remove the COPS chip, the system powers up as soon as the power cord is plugged in. If I put in the I/O card from my 2/10 the power button responds normally and the system seems basically functional, though the built in parallel port doesn't see an attached disk.

Here's some pointers James gave several years ago:

"If you've found the power switch signal is reaching the COP421 at pin 20, but it isn't turning on the power: check the COP has power (pin 9 should be approx. 5V), and check it is not held reset (pin 4 not below 2.5V), and that pin 1 is truly connected to ground.

If you have a moderately high impedance probe, check the COP oscillator is running (approx. 3.9 MHz at pins 2,3). If not, check the parts/circuit connected to pins 2 & 3.

If it all looks good, and the COP oscillator isn't running or pin 24 still refuses to switch, then the COP might be bad, but triple-check it is making good contact in the socket. "

If I put the COP from the 2/5 on my 2/10 I/O card, and put the card in the 2/5 it powers up normally. The mouse doesn't work though.

I verified all pins on the COP are connected... no broken traces and the chip socket contacts seem ok.
The COP has +5V on pin 9, reset on pin 4 comes up to 5V when the PSU is plugged in, ground on 1 is OK. The power button signal is getting to pin 20.

My Fluke 115 can't measure frequencies of ~ 2mhz. Pin 20 has about .15v on it, and doesn't change when the power button is pressed.

Any suggestions of where I should look next?

Thanks!

--

Jason Perkins

313 355 0085

You received this message because you are a member of the LisaList group. The group FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/lisa.html To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To leave this group, send email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist ---