Re: Lisa images to disk on a PC?

From: James MacPhail <uo957_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:20:34 -0700

>I'd like to know if other list members think it is best to use it as a MacXL
>or just as a Lisa with the 7/7 Office software installed

Either, depending on what you mean by "use it." (The obvious interpretation of which seems a bit far-fetched to me) My own experience is that the 7/7 software crashed more often, but I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

>And that leads me to the other part of this query; Is it possible to write
>image files to disks using my PC.

No. The 400/800k Apple disks use a different format (GCR) which is not compatible with PC floppy controllers (MFM).

There was an ISA controller board called a "Deluxe Option Board" which works in 5 MHz PCs. It can read/write/copy and edit down to individual magnetic transitions on GCR and MFM disks, but I don't think you could use it to create a disk from a DiskCopy image file.

>Should I maybe go and buy an old Mac Plus? Would that be an easier way to
>get this going? Plus's are going for 50 Dollars or so and I've been tempted
>several times.

Yes. Make sure you get something with at least one 800k (or 400k) drive; many Mac II's format disks that are unreadable in stock X/Lisas, so stick with a Mac 128k, 512k, or Plus.

Good luck!

James

James MacPhail                   "Think not of engineering as art,
uo957_at_email.domain.hidden                 but of art as engineering"
Sigma Seven Systems Ltd.
james_at_email.domain.hidden        <http://SigmaSevenSystems.com>

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Host your mailing list for free at Maclaunch http://www.maclaunch.com/forms/list.shtml - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.  Send list messages to <lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden>  To unsubscribe, send email to: <lisalist-off_at_email.domain.hidden>  To switch to digest mode, send email to <lisalist-digest_at_email.domain.hidden>  Email subscription questions to <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden> Received on 2000-08-21 22:20:49