Re: Lisa Toolkit

From: Karl Maftoum <k_maftoum_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 22:30:44 +1100

>I mentioned the recent "flurry" of messages of interest in the Lisa ToolKit
>to David T. Craig (a long-time Lisa historian who has compiled by far the
>largest collection of Lisa information that I know of).

Excellent! I have a couple more questions in relation to the compiler, could you forward them to Mr Craig? Or perhaps someone else on this list could answer these.

  1. The version of the Pascal compiler I have is 3.24, is there any later version?
  2. Is there any way around the 8 character variable name limit?
  3. Why do loop variables have to be local? Not even P-System compilers seem to have this limitation.
  4. Why does the compiler require a dimension when declaring a string? i.e. VAR foobar : STRING[255]; rather than foobar :STRING;

You'll have to forgive me if i'm off the mark here, it's been about 3 years since i've done any work in Pascal, but i'm sure this wasn't a requirement.

Thanks for that very interesting message, it certainly gave me a bit more insight into how the LisaOS is assembled internally. Could you ask Mr Craig whether any documentation exists on the Office System itself? i.e. how does one hook into the OS on a lower level, is there any system similar to the INIT system on the Mac?

Merry Christmas, and all the best for the New Year

Regards,
Karl

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>