Lisa computer retrospective - Part 4 of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:26:37 -0700

> THE APPLE LISA COMPUTER: A RETROSPECTIVE
>
> PART 4 OF 7
>
> PROGRAM ANTI-PIRACY AND DATA PROTECTION
>
> All Lisas provided a simple and effective method of protecting
> user programs from piracy, and data files from overly curious
> co-workers.
>
> When the user installed a new program, the Lisa "serialized" the
> disk copy of the program by writing the ROM-based serial number
> to the program floppy disk. The user of this disk would then be
> unable to copy this "protected master" program file to another
> Lisa. The user could still execute the protected program from
> the floppy disk, but this was tedious, given that Lisa programs
> tended to be large and floppy-disk-based program execution would
> try the patience of most users.
>
> Document protection was provided by passwording. The user could
> select a document icon with the mouse and, through a menu-driven
> dialog, obtain general information about the document. This
> information included the document's size and a field for the
> protection password. If the user typed a password into this
> field, the document was protected. When any user attempted to
> open a protected document, the Lisa displayed a dialog asking
> for the password.
>
> NON-PHYSICAL FILE NAMES
>
> The Lisa did not display physical file names to the user.
> Instead the Desktop Manager presented a "document name view"
> which allowed descriptive names with up to 63 characters. The
> underlying filesystem allowed file names up to 31 characters
> long, which could not contain the directory separator character
> "-". For each document the Desktop Manager maintained a user
> document name (e. g. "Vacation Plans - 1983") and a physical
> low-level file name (e. g. "{T3D456}").
>
> This non-physical file name scheme allowed the use of multiple
> documents with the same user-defined name, whose underlying
> physical file names were different. In this regard the Lisa
> mimicked the physical working desktop, where a worker might have
> five photocopies of the same document at the same time.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, no other currently available
> microcomputer supports non-physical document names.
>
> PULL-OUT HELP CARD IN THE KEYBOARD
>
> The Lisa keyboard contained small pull-out firm plastic sheets
> of helpful information. The first sheet showed the keyboard
> itself and a layout of all the keys that the could be typed in
> combination with the Option key. Other cards gave concise
> information about Lisa operating features and techniques, such
> as how to copy documents. Another blank card allowed users to
> write down important personal information pertaining to the
> Lisa; for example, the phone number of the local Apple service
> center or representative.
>
> HARDWARE BASED MEMORY MANAGEMENT
>
> The original Lisa contained 1 megabyte of physical memory, with
> about half of it used for the Lisa Desktop Manager and the
> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>