Lisa computer retrospective - Part 5 of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:26:48 -0700

> THE APPLE LISA COMPUTER: A RETROSPECTIVE
>
> PART 5 OF 7
>
> MACINTOSH: BACK TO THE FUTURE
>
> Though the Lisa is now over a decade old, Lisa Technology still
> influences the Macintosh. As the Macintosh product line matures,
> it has in many ways circled back to approach the Lisa of 1983.
>
> When Apple introduced the Lisa in January 1983, the Macintosh
> was already under development. In January 1984 Apple introduced
> the Macintosh which, at a casual glance, resembled a physically
> smaller Lisa in many ways. But underneath, the Macintosh and the
> Lisa were totally different. The Lisa depended on a multi-
> tasking operating system, the Macintosh only on single-tasking.
> The Lisa's extra memory (8 times that of the original Macintosh
> 128) and hard drive allowed use of comparatively sophisticated
> Lisa programs and larger data files. The Lisa's Desktop Manager
> and its distinctive user interface were drawn on by the
> Macintosh developers as a foundation for the Macintosh Finder.
>
> A short list of Lisa legacy items from Mr. Larry Tesler's
> article "The Legacy of the Lisa" (MacWorld magazine, Sep. 1985)
> appears below (I've added the Software development list):
>
> * User interface
> - Menubar, pull-down menus, keyboard-activated menu commands
> - Printing dialog boxes
> - Appearance, structure, and operation of windows and scroll
> bars
> - Ability to move windows and icons by dragging with the mouse
> - Windows that zoom to open and close
> - Dialog and alert boxes with buttons and check boxes
>
> * Applications
> - QuickDraw graphics package
> - LisaDraw converted to MacDraw
> - LisaProject converted to MacProject
> - LisaWrite, LisaCalc, LisaTerminal influenced Macintosh
> applications
> - Lisa Desktop Manager influenced the Macintosh Finder design
> - Lisa printing architecture influenced Macintosh printing
>
> * Software development
> - Lisa Pascal converted to MPW Pascal
> - Lisa Clascal influenced MPW Object Pascal
> - Lisa Workshop influenced design of Macintosh Programmer's
> Workshop
> - Lisa Workshop editor (LisaEdit) influenced editor design
> - Lisa ToolKit influenced heavily the Macintosh MacApp
> framework
>
> * Hardware
> - Single-button Mouse design
> - ImageWriter printer
>
> The Lisa legacy may also be seen in its influence, through the
> Macintosh at least, on environments for non-Apple
> microcomputers, including Microsoft Windows, Digital Research's
> GEM, and Commodore's AmigaDOS. Close examination of these
> systems will show a superficial resemblance to the Lisa (and
> Macintosh) environments. But many times below the surface one
> finds behavior that is reminiscent of the PC-DOS and CP/M
> systems from (relatively) long ago.
>
> Other Macintosh technical areas influenced by the Lisa were:

> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>