Lisa "Finder" Info - 7 of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:09:22 -0700

> LISA "FINDER" INFO
>
> PART 7 OF 7

> Frank Ludolph's comments about the Lisa user interface that he gave at a
> demonstration of the Xerox Star in 1998 are:
>
> "Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:00:20 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Frank Ludolph <frank.ludolph_at_email.domain.hidden>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <exxerox_at_email.domain.hidden>
> Subject: Re: The final live demonstration of the Xerox 'Star' computer
>
> Jeff mentioned the CHI joint Star/Lisa demo. As one of the presenters it
> was a
> blast to do. Most of you have experienced 'Oh, I should have said...'
> Jeff's
> comments give me the chance to say it, though to a differenct audience.
> :-)
>
> > From: jeffjohnson_at_email.domain.hidden
> > 2. When Frank Ludolph was giving the formal Lisa demo, he edited a
> graphics
> > file. When he tried to close the file, a dialog box appeared, reading
> "Do
> > you want to replace the document that you last edited 7 years ago?" The
> > audience got a laugh out of this, but I think it was quite noteworthy
> for
> > two reasons, one of which Frank mentioned and one of which he didn't.
> > Frank said that the document had in fact been last edited 10 years ago,
> but
> > Lisa's clock stopped advancing in 1995. In other words, Lisa didn't
> have a
> > year-2000 problem; it had a 1995 problem. What Frank didn't point out
> was
> > that the dialog box gave the elapsed time in years. Most systems in
> this
> > situation would have given a specific last-edit date, or displayed the
> > elapsed time as "2555 days". Whoever programmed that dialog box thought
> > convert very-long time intervals into years. What foresight!
>
> Thanks to Larry Tesler. I alway thought it was a great feature.
>
> > 3. During the Lisa demo, Frank Ludolph at one point duplicated a file
> that
> > he meant to move. He was quick to point out that Lisa (and Mac) use the
> > same UI for moving and copying documents, and that this was sometimes a
> > problem for users, but usually did what users want.
>

> Actually, Mac and Lisa used the same drag-and-drop action, but Mac does a
> copy when the destination is a different disk while Lisa always did a
> move.
> The Mac get beat-up for being inconsistent, but Lisa's consistency lead to
>
> difficult to correct errors when an item was dragged from hard disk to
> diskette - the item was removed from the hard disk and the diskette may
> have
> been physically taken to another location.
>
> > ... Behind me in the
> > audience, a fellow suddenly said: "Hey! Those two files have the same
> > name!" No one else picked up on this, so I told him that in both Lisa
> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>