Help -- List Mom out of loop!

From: Dan Knight <dan_knight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:40:56 -0500

Bad news -- I haven't received any email from the maclaunch.com mail servers sent after 3:00 p.m. Sunday. I suspect someone has reported them for spam. I further suspect it was done in response to an off topic post by a subscriber on one of our email lists.

Regardless, this isn't how things should be handled. As I reported to Spam Cop, our email lists are closed and subscription is a two-step process. Only subscribers receive messages and only subscribers may post. Because of this, it should be virtually impossible for these lists to be spammed.

If you do receive something you believe to be spam from one of these lists, don't go to Spam Cop, ORBS, RBL, and the rest. Get your facts before you have the maclaunch mail server blocked by hundreds or thousands of mail servers around the world. Deal with the issue at the source first -- reporting spam and blocking a mail server should only be a last resort, but for some blocking services, it's the first step.

Upon learning of the purported spam, I blocked the sender from further posting to the list and asked why such an off topic message was sent to the list. That's really all that needs to happen.

Instead, someone took it upon him/herself to play vigilante and report this to Spam Cop, not just the list manager. And now it's possible that hundreds or even thousands of members of these lists are unable to receive postings because that single action has apparently resulted in the blacklisting of the server that handles all of our lists.

Whoever did this, please do everything in your power to correct this problem. We run a spam-free operation, and your objection to a single posting on a single list by a single subscriber is no reason to effectively shut down these lists for the list manager and who knows how many other subscribers.

You created the problem. Please fix it.

As for the rest of you, thanks for putting up with my rant. I get a bit upset when people mess up my mailing lists.

Dan the listmom

Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.

 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

<http://lowendpc.com>
<http://digital-views.com> <http://digigraphica.com>

<http://reformed.net>

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.