Update on swap policy

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:18:56 -0500

I'm updating the list FAQs this morning and replacing the section on swaps with the following text (except on the Swap List, which has a different focus):

What about the email swap meet?

To simplify things and give everyone an equal chance, we no longer run a swap meet. Instead, we have set up the Low End Mac Swap List as a place for list members to buy and sell Mac-related goods.

For the most part, items for sale should be listed on the swap list, which has over 500 subscribers. We do make exceptions for the international lists (Australia, Canada, UK), the non-Mac lists (Apple II, Lisa, Newton), and items that would only be of interest to members of a specific list. Keep in mind that the swap list is probably the best place to list items for sale, since it has more subscribers than any of the other lists.

That said, the swap list is a very busy list, and we don't think anyone should have to subscribe just so they can sell a personal item or system, so we do allow posting of items for sale on all lists -- but only when they are germane to that list. That means no posting Quadras for sale on the iMac list, for instance.

To avoid this list turning into a swapfest, we restrict subscribers of such postings to one per calendar year

We discourage posting links to your eBay and other online auctions, and such postings are explicitly forbidden on the swap list. We also discourage links to other items available through online auctions unless they are unusual and of special interest to that list, such as the Pina tomes covering vintage Macs.

Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
<http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com> <http://lowendpc.com>
<http://digital-views.com> <http://digigraphica.com> <http://reformed.net>

The more acceptance that technology gets, the harder it is to change. If enough people are stuck at the same level, they think it's the truth.