lemlists.com

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:50:33 -0400

Our monumentally huge project for the summer will be setting up a new domain (I just registered lemlists.com) for our email lists and creating our own software to manage subscriptions, process messages, etc. It's going to be a huge undertaking, and it's going to make things much better for all of us.

One idea I've had for funding this is selling email addresses @lemlists.com for $5/year. The bulk of this would go toward running the server and paying for bandwidth, with a small percentage coming back to Low End Mac for administering the lists.

We're working with Ryan Coleman of <http://coleman-web.net/> to set this up. The goal is to set up a pretty spam resistant server that can be used as a POP3 mail server -- and for Web-based email as well. Best of all, if you're subscribed to any of our lists from a lemlists.com address, you'd never have to worry about AOL, mac.com, etc. going down or bouncing messages from the list, since they'll be on the same machine that handles the lists.

We'd like to hear from any of you who might be interested in supporting the LEM lists and having a lemlists.com mailbox for $5.00 per year. This will help us determine the feasibility of the project, how much drive space we'll need, and whether Coleman Web will need to upgrade their Internet connection to allow for more bandwidth.

If you're interested, DO NOT reply to the list and DO NOT reply to me. Send an email to Ryan at <ryan_at_email.domain.hidden> with the subject "lemlists.com".

Whether we go through with mailboxes or not, we will be working with Coleman Web to set up the Low End Mac List Server in coming days. I'm guessing this project may take several months of programming and debugging to get things just right. I'll keep you posted.

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.

<http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>
<http://digital-views.com> <http://digigraphica.com>
<http://lowendpc.com> <http://reformed.net>
Bill Gates was so impressed by the iMac that they were going to offer the blue-screen-of-death in a choice of colours. ;-) -- LisaList is sponsored by <http://lowendmac.com/> and... Shop buy.com and save. <http://lowendmac.com/ad/buy.com.html> Support Low End Mac <http://lowendmac.com/lists/support.html> LisaList info: <http://lowendmac.com/lists/lisa.html> Send list messages to: <mailto:lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden> To unsubscribe, email: <mailto:lisalist-off_at_email.domain.hidden> For digest mode, email: <mailto:lisalist-digest_at_email.domain.hidden> Subscription questions: <mailto:listmom_at_email.domain.hidden> Archive: <http://www.mail-archive.com/lisalist%40mail.maclaunch.com/> Using a Macintosh? Get free email and more at Applelinks! <http://www.applelinks.com>