Cause of spurious subscription requests

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:13:17 -0500

Wooohooo - we finally got to the bottom of this one!

Somehow the listname-subscribe_at_email.domain.hidden addresses had become subscribed to several of our email lists. I don't know how that could have happened, since we require confirmation of all subscriptions, but it did.

The result: Every time someone posted to that list, a copy of their email went to the subscribe address, and the list server sent out the usual reply to a subscription request.

It wasn't a list configuration matter at all, nor was it anything that should have been able to happen. Live and learn.

I'm going through the lists one by one to make sure these addresses are removed. This should be the end of the matter, but if you do get any confirmation emails after this, please email listmom_at_lemlists.com.

Dan the listmom