Update on LEM finances

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:22:14 -0400

The Mac community has been more than generous in its support of Low End Mac. In ten days, we have lined up a buyer for our TiBook, have some promising leads for selling our two 333 MHz Rev. D iMacs, and have received donations covering over $5,000 of our roughly $6,000 debt load.

For the first time in a couple years, my paychecks cover a week in the same month that they're cut. I've gone from being 3 months behind on payroll to three weeks. I'll finish catching up in September to help equalize the tax liabilities on all that payroll.

We have received approximately $3,000 via PayPal, over $1,200 through the mail, a little more than $1,000 through the Amazon Honor System, and about $500 in payment for lemlists and lowendmac.net email accounts. We also have about $400 donated through Kagi, but it will be some time before those funds actually reach us.

Last week we had a plumbing emergency -- a leak collapsed a bedroom ceiling. This money couldn't have come at a better time. We have a $250 deductible and have to pay the cost of fixing the cause of the problem. Insurance will cover the rest.

We have a contractor working up an estimate for painting our chimney and repairing our broken cement. Hoping that won't be too costly. The screen door I should be able to replace myself. And the roof will have to wait until we find out whether our refinancing has gone through.

I set up and sold over a dozen LC 630 systems at $30 each through our garage sale over the weekend. Nice machines with 12 MB RAM, System 7.5.5, a 14" monitor, choice of a compact or extended keyboard, tested drives (floppy, hard, and CD-ROM). And some nice freeware, shareware, and abandoned games. Funny thing is, I got these from a school that was going to pay someone to haul them away -- and a lot of them are going into classrooms because teachers are buying them so their students can work on their keyboarding skills.

I'll be ordering copies of ClarisWorks 3.0 for some of these people -- just $1 through Shreve Systems -- so they have something better than SimpleText to work with.

I remain overwhelmed at the generosity of the Mac community. I send out lots of thank you emails each day, and twice I've gone to the bank with huge stacks of checks.

We have added a new option to our support page, because several people asked us to. It's now possible to automatically make a monthly donation through PayPal.

<http://lowendmac.com/support.shtml>

As always, thank you for your support of Low End Mac.