Re: floppy head monitor runs continously .. anyone got a spare?

From: Marshall Henderson <britishcar_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:58:56 -0400

I don't have a spare but I've had the same thing happen to me a time or two. In both cases, I believe it was after I tried to lubricate the mech on the side of the drive. It would continuously "eject" a non-existent disk over and over. It seems like I somehow "dried" the oil off of one and it began working but I don't really recall as this was quite some time ago.

Good luck.

Marshall H.

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 10:49 PM, Stephen M. Jones wrote:

>> Does the motor spin up, when you insert a floppy or push the little
>> stick in
>> the floppy on the right side, which recognizes an inserted disk?
>> The error you described, could be caused by a faulty I/O Board (resp.
>> faulty Lisa Light Adapter, depending on your Lisa modell) or by the
>> drive
>> itself, due to a faulty step-by-step electronic component, which
>> triggers
>> permanently the motor, which moves the head.
>

> Tom, thats right .. basically when I power on the machine the
> floppy the step motor moves the head forward until it starts
> clicking in place and wont' stop. It didn't do that before,
> only after I had lubricated some of the components so that a
> floppy could be inserted and ejected .. From what you're
> saying this is a common condition ..
>
> It might be best to just find a replacement drive.

> Thanks to the other person for the tip on using my SE for
> writing out the DiskCopy images .. I was going to try to
> use my 840av .. now I won't ;-)
>
> I wonder, could I just use my SE's floppy in the Lisa? I
> have a Lisa 2/10 with the H rom version.

> Ahh, to the other person who responded, my disk isn't
> suffering from stick-tion. It seeks when told to boot
> but reports an error.
>
> Anyone have a spare floppy? (or could I use my SE's ?)
>
> What about hard disk alternatives? I'm only guessing that when
> I do eventually get LisaOS to boot on floppy I'll be able
> to install it on the hard drive.

> --> AOL users, remove "mailto:"
> Send list messages to: <mailto:lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden>
> To unsubscribe, email: <mailto:lisalist-off_at_email.domain.hidden>
> For digest mode, email: <mailto:lisalist-digest_at_email.domain.hidden>
> Subscription questions: <mailto:listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
> Archive: <http://www.mail-archive.com/lisalist%40mail.maclaunch.com/>
>
> Using a Mac? Free email & more at Applelinks! http://www.applelinks.com

Please do not send any greeting cards, gift certificates, automated invitations, forwarded web articles or etc. to this email address. Please send only hand-written messages directly from your address.

Thanks!