Lisa tech preservation, Alice

From: <sauersr_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:07:25 -0400 (EDT)

There really should be some sort of non-profit organization designed to preserve the Lisa legacy. Lisa stuff is being scattered on Ebay and ends up in various collections or thrown out. Private collections are OK, but it really would be valuable for there to be a museum or some sort of central repository for Lisa tech.

Apple should do more in this area. The company prides itself on innovation, but seems to be content to leave much of its innovation to obscurity, even loss. Maybe there's a secret cache of Apple history somewhere? Is there a reason why Apple would be unwise to open the source code for Lisa's software?

The Mac is pretty well-covered with sites like folklore.org. The Lisa is usually treated as an after-thought, something to mention while writing about the Mac.

The original version of Alice was written for the Lisa. Where is it? Apple's first game was actually a Lisa program. While it wasn't produced for sale, it's hardly unimportant. It would be really cool to see a game running on a Lisa, even if it's slow. I hazily recall that Steve Capps was the person who made the game. I wrote to the guy (Bruce Horn?) who runs folklore.org and he gave me Capps' e-mail, but I didn't get a response when I asked about Alice.