Re: Lisa + Profile and SCSI cable?

From: Dr. Helmut Post <helmut_post_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:18:04 +0200

I have successfully repaired a loud Profile 10 MB (Seagate ST 412) by pulling off the flywheel of the HDU with a pull-off tool. You can get all kind of pull-off tools in almost any size at your local tool shop.
To test the proper size of the pull-off tool, take your HDU with you if you enter the shop.
The fly wheel is not fixed with a normal screw, but only pressed on the spindle axis and secured with a kind of epoxy glue. Be very careful if you pull off the flywheel!! You can easily damage the big permanent magnets inside the flywheel which is the rotating part of the main HDU motor. You have to pull the flywheel absolutely straight from its axis! I used a pull-off tool in the form of a tripod to do this job. If the flywheel is completely removed you can see the main bearings of the drive and it's very easy to lubricate them with a special lubricant ( don't use normal oil!) for bearings- I use WIK 700 or GP Hypoid 90 from Esso. But you can use any similar lubricant used for VHS Video Cassette Recorders (lubricating the video head scanner assembly bearings). Only a few small drops are necessary to lubricate the "dry" bearings!

I have used Stabilit Express from Henkel (Methacrylatemethyl glue) for refixing the flywheel.
Dont' use too much glue! Remove any fat or oil from your flywheel first!

Helmut