She Lives!! Widget is running!

From: Chris Riedl <zap_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 02:03:26 -0500

     After putting two and two together, I knew the Widget had a controller board problem somewhere. From inspecting and cleaning the other boards in the Lisa, I discovered that Apple had used the cheaper style of IC sockets on the boards, stamped vs machined contacts. The machined sockets don't seem to hold up as well over time, so I figured I'd do what I normally do in desperation, reseat ICs in order to clean the pins. I must have done something right, as the next boot, the Widget fired up to life, the brake clacked, and the Lisa began to boot!!! I am gathering that one of the EPROMs must have not been making contact with the socket, thus the controller board wasn't running at all, and the Lisa would rarely see the Widget, if at all. I would certainly suggest trying to reseat all socketed IC's on any controller boards before throwing in the towel on a drive.

    I'm curious to know now, though. What are normal Widget sounds? I'm not used to drives of this vintage, so I don't know if an occasional chirp-like sound (rapid movement of R/W head motors?) is normal. Additionally, is there a benchmark to see if the drive is working optimally? How long do things like the calculator, for instance, take to be loaded? I've never had the pleasure of working with a Lisa before, so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks,
Chris