Re: Networking a Lisa

From: macmoni <macmoni_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:00:37 +0100

Hi Phil,

try, whether this routine accepts keyboard inputs? type in the 'owners name'
ENTER
type in the 'computer name'
ENTER
type in the password
ENTER What happens now?

TOM from a snowy Bavaria, the country of the marvellous castles of Koenig Ludwig, the Alps, the original Octoberfest in the center of Europe

Am 07.02.2006 um 04:38 schrieb Philip Lord:

> Ok,
> Partial success!
> I can now connect my Lisa running OS 6.0.8 and 7.0.1 to a Powerbook
> 2400c running 8.6.
> However I can not see the Lisa from the Powerbook side.
>
> On the lisa running 7.0.1 if I open the 'sharing' control panel, I can
> enter in the 'owners name', the 'computer name' and the password, but
> I can't see any button that says 'START' sharing???!!!
> It's been a while since I have done file sharing in OS 7, but I
> assumed there would be a 'START' button like in OS 9. Where has it
> gone? Am I looking in the right place?
>
> As for OS6, last time I used sharing on this system was about 18 years
> ago, so I really have no idea how to start file sharing at all under
> 6.
>
> Phil
>

> On Feb 6, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Philip Lord wrote:
>
>> Thanks James,
>> I will try to connect the Lisa to another mac with an older system.
>> See if this helps.
>>
>> I have tried to see the Lisa from the Wallstreet side but nothing
>> appears in the chooser. I will double check again that sharing on the
>> Lisa side is on.
>>
>> Thanks again for the info, I will let you all know how I go.
>>
>> Phil

>>> I think this indicates you do have (more or less) appropriate
>>> software
>>> installed and your hacked localtalk connector is working.

>>> I have observed a similar issue with various computers running system
>>> software pre MacOS 8, including a MacPlus, and IIsi.
>>>
>>> I believe the reason is that Apple implemented a new "User
>>> Authentication
>>> Module" around the time of Mac OS 8 to improve security, and for
>>> whatever
>>> reason, it is not fully backwards-compatible (or perhaps you need to
>>> find
>>> just the right version of the AppleShare Workstation Software).
>>>
>>> Searching around on Apple's web site, I found various technotes
>>> including
>>> this one:
>>>
>>> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30497>
>>>
>>> Which says, in part:
>>>
>>> "Computers that are running system software earlier than system
>>> software
>>> 7.5.1 should run AppleShare Workstation 3.5. Computers that are