Re: PC Crap

From: <sauersr_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:14:00 -0500 (EST)

There's really no reason to get angry about this either way. One man's refuse is another's treasure, especially when it comes to computer equipment. None of my friends understands how I can be enthusiastic about old computer technology, such as the Lisa OS and hardware. But, they can talk endlessly about the most boring (to me) linguistic topics, like cases, and one of them finds the Cincinnati local news channel fascinating enough to watch twice daily.

The IBM AT doesn't interest me a great deal because of its primitive OS and bland hardware. But, it is interesting from a historical perspective, because it was so successful in the market. The inclusion of a working hard disk seems to add value to the unit. Lisa owners know about how vital a working vintage hard disk is!

Does anyone have experience with 80186 machines? That was the black sheep of the family, like Motorolla's 68010. ;)

As for the Lisa's failure in the market, that's undeniable. But, market success doesn't say a lot about the quality of products, sometimes, or perhaps often. Although psychological research has found that people find averaged faces more attractive (the more average the face, the more attractive we find it), average technology is usually nothing to get excited about. Unless, perhaps, you're Dell. ;)