Re: Question about Sun Rem SCSI card

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:14:53 -0700

>When I've got the board installed and hooked up to my AppleCD
>600e (CD installed and device turned on) I don't see any SCSI device
>mounted when I look at my MacWorks desktop.

With a Mac that predates built-in CDROM drives, I believe you must install appropriate System extension(s) for any CDROM to work. Once you get the extensions for the AppleCD installed, I think it should work fine with MW+1.0.18 and System 6.0.2.

>I would like to use the card to interface with a 100mb Zip drive

I believe the Zip drive does not require a System extension to work, although there is an extension to add some feature that I don't recall. Plug it in and see.

Also, you need to get the termination correct:

Ideally, two terminators, one at each of the extreme ends of the chain.

If you have an internal SCSI drive along with external device(s), that means one terminator on the internal drive, NO TERMINATOR on the SCSI board, and one terminator at the far end of the chain. Since some Sun SCSI boards have the terminator resistors soldered in place, this can be a nuisance to get working. If the internal cable is short enough, having the terminator on the SCSI board but not on the internal drive can work.

If you have a one device chain with a short cable, one terminator may work better.

Welcome to LisaList and good luck!

James

James MacPhail                   "Think not of engineering as art,
uo957_at_email.domain.hidden                 but of art as engineering"
Sigma Seven Systems Ltd.
james_at_email.domain.hidden        <http://SigmaSevenSystems.com>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2008-07-21 14:31:42