Re: Swapping Lisa components

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:17:37 -0800

>I've got a Lisa 2/5 with no external 5MB Widget with a faulty
>component on the power supply motherboard. This little 1.5"x1.5"
>blocky black thing with a yellow band on top that reeks like you
>wouldn't believe. (Some cracking on the band is visible as well)

We do know what all the components are, and many of them have replacements the same size or smaller.

However, I'm not sure which blocky thing you are referring to.

Usually a "Lisa Motherboard" refers to the horizontal board the CPU and Memory boards plug into.

The "DataPower" version of the Lisa power supply does have a small second circuit board, so I can see that some would call the large board inside that PSU its motherboard. Is that what you are referring to?

The one thing in the DataPower PSU that looks to me like a 1.5 x 1.5" blocky thing with a yellow band is the transformer for the standby power, but it isn't very black (usually). I suppose it would overheat if someone used it with a 220V input without the correct jumper settings... did you find or use it outside of North America?

I suppose it might look and smell bad if one of the capacitors in the PSU released it's electrolyte onto the transformer... do any of the capacitors look damaged?

Perhaps this entry in the LisaFAQ will be helpful:

   <http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-pwr_220v_vs_110v.html>

If we aren't on the right track, perhaps a picture is needed, or describe what is printed on the part and on the circuit board beside the part.

>there is a garbled video signal (hopefully from the underperforming
>power supply)

Depending on what you mean by garbled, that is often due to a dirty potentiometer on the video board... making a small adjustment may fix it.

HTH, James

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2009-02-24 15:28:34