Re: Corrosion abatement

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 06:59:03 -0800 (PST)

That looks about the same as my first Lisa 2/5 when I received it. Even if it's working at present, I would strongly advise that you give everything an overnight soaking in 50/50 vinegar/water. That includes disassembling the bottom tray and soaking the motherboard along with the I/O (and CPU?) card. After I did this on my machine, the bus slots and edge fingers on the boards gleamed and there was no visible sign of the green crud anywhere.

Opinions on the minor details probably vary. In my case, I gave the boards a good shaking and blew out everything with compressed air (didn't bother with a cloth or towel). Then, I set my wall oven for the lowest temperature (150F) and baked them with the door propped partially open for about a half hour. Everything came out bone-dry. Let them cool to room termperature before applying power.

I did not remove any socketed chips, but it probably isn't a bad idea if there is obvious crud on the pins.

My system had an enormous amount of residue on the chassis tray itself. While the vinegar did remove it, the chemical reaction also blackened the sheet metal. If I had to do it all over again, I'd recommend a rotary wire-brush in a variable speed drill. Wear a respirator! You don't want to be inhaling the particles.

The chassis connectors on the main computer were really bad in my case. I was able to find an complete NOS harness and connector set to replace them outright. They are probably still available if you watch eBay or poke around on the web.