Re: LisaEm 1.0.0 RC1 breaks floppy image support

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:33:57 -0400

toby wrote:
> Is it worth adding a few simple sniff tests and have the loader advise
> common errors?

Actually there's a very simple way to tell on OS X - the finder will show Disk Copy 4.2 images as "Disk Copy 4.2" in the kind column. Also, the Icon for proper Disk Images will have the same icon as a DMG.

So you can either do Apple-I to get info on a specific file, or switch the finder's view to "As List" and expand the size of the "Kind" column to the point where you can see the it fully without the finder inserting an ellipsis in the text.

If it shows the generic "Document" tag, it's probably been encoded with MacBin II, or is some other kind of Disk Image.

The file size is an indicator too. It should be 419284 bytes if it's a 400K Disk Copy 4.2 image with tags, or 409684 bytes if there are no tags.

So dropping some of those "Document" broken image files ontop of StuffIt Expander didn't seem do anything. And there doesn't seem to be very many OS X MacbinII handler programs. I've found two on versiontracker, but one is a drag and drop MacBinII encoder only which I couldn't get to work under OS X 10.4.9, and the other one only handles MacBinIII which isn't something I'm familiar with. (These were BinJuggler and MacBinDrop)

If the file is exactly 409600 bytes, it means the tags have been stripped and the image is not bootable. It may be fine for something under MacWorks, but will not be too useful under Lisa Office System, nor be bootable.

The MacBinII header is 128 bytes, so if they show up with 419412 bytes, and show up as a generic document, they're likely MacBinII encoded. If the file is smaller than 400K, it's an indicator that it is a DART image.

So either StuffIt Expander for OS X doesn't handle MacBinII or these are corrupted files. (I did notice some of the ZIP files wouldn't open for example.) But StuffIt Expander's help notes that it does infact handle MacBinary. (Renaming the files from .image to .image.bin and dropping them on StuffIt Expander did not help either.)

There are info pages on google on MacBinII (i.e. http://www.lazerware.com/macbinary/macbinary_ii.html ).

I recently added a MacBinII handler to the as of yet unreleased version of the emulator (well to libdc42 actually), so future releases should handle MacBinII wrapped images. Received on 2007-05-04 11:34:00