Re: How to backup X-profile & IDEfile compact flash cards

From: Nama <forums6000_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 00:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

Well, it seems that I was able to use testdisk with no obvious problem (however I still need to test it by making a new card from the image). Thanks.
I am however curious how you made your RAW file for UNIPLUS to be 10mb?
I'm assuming that you didn't make this from a X/Profile CF card, but rather from an emulator image. Am I correct? All my images are, as you mentioned, about the size of the card's themselves, and consist largely of areas with data (about 512 bytes) followed by areas with no data (again about 512 bytes)...this pattern then repeats. IDEfile images are also similar in places. Is this because of some redundancy that X/Profile and IDEfile uses when writing to the card?
I read about this on the IDEfile web page:

"IDE drives have a sector size of 512 bytes while a ProFile block has 532 bytes. To avoid the time-consuming calculation of LBA and sector offset for each block number, IDEfile was designed to support block sizes of up to 1024 bytes. Now each block starts at a sector boundary, and the LBA ist just two times the block number (or from the microcontroller's point of view, the block number shifted left one bit). Therefore the space required on the hard disk is two times the nominal volume size. Of course this approach "wastes" a certain amount of disk space, but with today's hard drive sizes that should be acceptable.
IDEfile does not care about the number of bytes sent or read by the host, as long as it is below 1024 bytes."

Your 10mb UNIPLUS image does not exhibit this pattern.

One strange thing is that my images MOSTLY exhibit this pattern, however there are some areas where the data does not actually follow this pattern...
...Ok, so just before posting this message I decided to checked the code again, these larger areas of code actually seem to be stuff that was left over on the cards and were not erased when X/Profile or Lisa formated the cards. I actually came across some text that looked very much like some of my old emails with my old email address embedded!!!!
I was actually going to share all my images as I have virgin installs of Pascal, Cobol, Xenix, Basic, Lisa OS 2, Lisa OS 3.2, Mac OS 6.0.1 and MAC OS 7.0.8) but now I'm not going to do that until I fix this problem. I certainly don't want people reading my old emails!!!! Maybe I'll just go into the hex-editor and wipe these areas with 00's.

Phil