Re: Request: Tips to revive a Lisa 2/10

From: Marshall Henderson <britishcar_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:36:06 -0400

Congratulations on your find. I actually had some luck with the following procedure:

The Lisa has a LOT of socketed chips and the main logic boards all fit down into the "motherboard" (actually a small, low chip count interconnect board).

This is a ripe environment for dust or general gunk to finally work its way into one of these small places and spoil the connection. On a Lisa I had exhibiting similar symptoms, I removed each board from the motherboard and carefully cleaned ALL of the gold teeth. Then I carefully pressed each board solidly down into the sockets. I can't recall what I used to clean the teeth but I believe I started with a pencil eraser (from a tip I'd heard long ago) and finished with an alcohol-type cleaner.

After that, the machine worked. If it hadn't, my next step was to carefully press on socketed chips to be sure they were still well seated. You never know what kind of rough rides an old Lisa may have taken on its journey to you.

Be sure you have taken the usual static electricity precautions and good luck.

Marshall H.
Fairfax, VA