Re: Request: Tips to revive a Lisa 2/10

From: James MacPhail <uo957_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:36:50 -0700

Hi Jan,

>I stumbled over a Lisa on a local flea market and I'd like to get her going
>again. Currently she doesn't pass the bootrom test:
>no beeps, and only a zig-zag pattern on the display. I already downloaded
>some stuff from the mothership (a/o Sun Remarketing
>Do-it-yourself manual), but these don't go any further than advicing to
>change one of the system boards. Maybe someone on this
>list has a more detailed repair manual that gives some info on debugging the
>system boards?

If you mean component level troubleshooting, there are schematics around, but I don't think there is anything that qualifies as a manual for that level of repair.

If the problem is simple (or you are patient), someone may be able to talk you through it; what do you have for test equipment? (eg. logic probe, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.)

The symptoms imply (to me) that the CPU isn't running. Check that the CPU and boot ROMs are installed (the right way around), with no pins folded under, and the ROMs in their correct sockets.

I agree with the other post that the card edge connectors probably need to be cleaned, but simply un/plugging the cards may wipe them enough to get it to work temporarily.

HTH James

James MacPhail                   "Think not of engineering as art,
uo957_at_email.domain.hidden                 but of art as engineering"
Sigma Seven Systems Ltd.
james_at_email.domain.hidden        <http://SigmaSevenSystems.com>