Re: Lisa 2: Bad Disk Drive

From: James MacPhail <uo957_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:42:41 -0800

>*but* despite all my effort, the diske drive remain not functionnal. It
>make some noise at startup, like if head are blocked... I will try
>again to dismantle it and grease everywhere again... May be somebody
>have a spare diske drive ? Or Macintosh drive may work ?

The 400K drive is the same as in the 128K and 512K Macintosh, so if you have one of those (and it sounds like you do), you could connect it to see if it works.

If not, then suspect the I/O board and connectors.

If another drive does work, then the original drive would seem to need maintenance.

Other than the sticky grease problem, check to see if the pressure pad is still on the drive. It is a small felt pad opposite the read/write head, when a disk is inserted, it is the thing that holds the magnetic disk against the head.

Sometimes the pressure pad falls off (or is torn off by forcibly ejecting a disk when the grease is sticky).

Congratulations on fixing your off/on problem!

James

James MacPhail                   "Think not of engineering as art,
uo957_at_email.domain.hidden                 but of art as engineering"
Sigma Seven Systems Ltd.
james_at_email.domain.hidden        <http://SigmaSevenSystems.com>