Re: Networking a Lisa

From: James MacPhail <uo957_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 03:31:39 -0800

>I can now connect my Lisa running OS 6.0.8 and 7.0.1 to a Powerbook
>2400c running 8.6. However I can not see the Lisa from the Powerbook side.

>I really have no idea how to start file sharing at all under 6.

The file server feature first appeared in System 7, so computers running earlier systems can only be clients (unless you use third-party sharing software).

Do you have an XLerator installed and turned on? If not, you won't be able to use the Lisa as a server with file sharing in System 7, although you should still be able to connect as a client. For more info, see page 9 of the MacWorks Plus II - Series 1 Update - Manual Addendum.

I also believe that you need more than 2 MB to run System 7 successfully, so if you have an XLerator, make sure you have at least 4 MB installed.

SCSI <-> Ethernet boxes appeared some time after the MW+II update, so you _might_ be able to turn on file sharing without an XLerator if you are networked through one of these (or they might require an XLerator too). I have successfully used an Asante Mini EN/SC-10T (with an XLerator), but others may work too.

HTH, James

James MacPhail                   "Think not of engineering as art,
uo957_at_email.domain.hidden                 but of art as engineering"
Sigma Seven Systems Ltd.
james_at_email.domain.hidden        <http://SigmaSevenSystems.com>