Apple Profile low level formatting on an Apple III

From: alker <r.brandstoetter_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:57:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi Blair, hi Andrea,

Blair - thank you very much for sending me the Piggyback Z8 with the formatter ROM and the software for the Apple III! I played now all the day around but without success...

My setup is an Apple III with profile interface card (in the right slot seen from the front - this is slot 1, or not ?!?!)..I have one working 5mb Apple III profile - the Apple III can access it ..I also have one working 5mb Lisa profile and 2 "dead" 5mb profiles (from Blair ;-) which I want to bring back to life. Thanks to Andrea we know that also with working ST-412's we can bring back to life the old 5mb profile with the ST-506 inside.. these would have been my plan...

Well, I first took my working Lisa profile to the low level format process (inserted the Z8, booted the A3, closed the jumper and - "formatting error, fail" ... I checked everything I could imagine.. well, the parallel cable is about 1,5m long but it works when I connect the working A3 profile...
the same error message comes when I disconnect the cable.. so somehow the formatting software does not "feel" or see the disk.. it is always the same error message.. no matter if I connect the cable, disconnect it, change the z8 chip with the original chip.. it does not matter

when the Z8 is installed, the disk does not do the testing with the stepper.. if the original chip is inserted it does all the tests and comes up after around 2 minutes..
I wanted to low level format my working profile .. so that I know the disk is not the problem..

.... at the moment it seems to me that the formatting software does not interact with the profile card.. if I boot up with SOS 1.3 and connect my A3 profile I have access to the profile without problems.. so the cable and the profile interface card should work...

Any ideas? it was really a hard piece of work to get all the components.. I'd be really happy if somebody can help. I also can make pictures of my setup...

Rudi

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2008-02-10 14:35:21