Re: new Lisa owner questions

From: David R. B. Kraemer <dkraemer_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 23:59:44 -0400

Thanks, James, for the info; Kevin, I am new to this Lisa thing, and had many of the same questions.

> From: James MacPhail <uo957_at_email.domain.hidden>
>
> You can only run Macintosh System 7 with MacWorks Plus II, which you likely
> don't have. (If you do have MacWorks Plus II, there will be a small
> daughterboard on your I/O board with one large chip and a few small chips
> on it, and a couple of wires with clips on their ends attached to the I/O
> board)

My Lisa has this daughterboard, and I had no clue what it was. I had not seen any reference to this on any of the Lisa web sites. All I knew was that it said "Programmable Frequency Generator" on the board.

This was a problem for me, because the clips on the two wires connected to this board had become detatched. During the bootup self-tests, it always gave an error, something about the "PFG"; I assumed that the detached clips were the cause of this error. I ignored the error, and the Lisa would successfully boot into the Macintosh System.

James (or anybody who has one of these PFG daughterboards), could you tell me where the two wires should be clipped?

> The Lisa will dual boot, how you set it up depends on the software you
> install. For the most part it is set up by the installer. Although you have
> to install the Lisa 7/7 Office System and Lisa Workshop on the hard disk,
> you can always boot MacWorks from a floppy.

My Lisa (Mac XL) has an internal hard disk drive with MacWorks Plus II installed on it. I would like to put the Lisa Office System on it, but I don't want to lose the MacWorks Plus. There's plenty of room on the hard drive. How can I make my Lisa a dual-boot system? Could you post instructions, James, or point me towards the information?

Thanks,
Dave

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Host your mailing list for free at Maclaunch http://www.maclaunch.com/forms/list.shtml - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.  To unsubscribe, send email to: <lisalist-off_at_email.domain.hidden>  To switch to digest mode, send email to <lisalist-digest_at_email.domain.hidden>  To switch to index mode, send email to <lisalist-index_at_email.domain.hidden>  Send administrative queries to <lisalist-request_at_email.domain.hidden> Received on 2000-08-07 21:01:42