LisaDAC sound card jumpers

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 14:32:03 -0800

Dr. Helmut Post wrote:
>BTW: I have a Lisa Sound DAC, but I don't anything about the jumper
>settings, the proper slot assignment etc...

J3 is a header for attaching an external speaker. To use the internal speaker, put a jumper between pins 1 and 2. To use an external speaker, connect it between pins 1 and 4.

J4 is a DMA Bus Grant pass-through. In theory it should have a jumper on it because the card does not use DMA. However, no other card uses DMA either, so I expect it does not matter.

J5 has something to do with the card select logic -- I don't know what it is supposed to do; it doesn't appear to have any effect. I would guess that it is to enable the second EPROM socket (which is empty on every card I've seen). My card arrived with a jumper between pins 1 and 2 (the "A" position).

I believe the card will work in any slot, but there is a chance that it depends on the software/hardware in use. I'm certain mine has worked in all three slots with MW+II 2.5.0 and System 7.0.1*. By "worked", I mean that the sound control panel produces different sounds... "quack", etc., but distorted to some extent (equally in all slots).

>What is the newest Eprom version for the Sound DAC?

I know of only two versions of the EPROM, 1.0 and 1.1, so I think you have the latest one.

>Do I need any special driver for system 6.07 or 7.1 or even newer?

MacWorks Plus II has the LisaDAC software in it, so it does not need a driver. I believe the later versions of MacWorks Plus 1.x also include the software, so you might only need a driver file for MacWorks XL 3.0... I don't know where to find the driver if there is one.

James